The formal eulogy of Rose Farinas was delivered by her daughter Irene Dayuha on Friday, February 5, 2016 at the Cathedral Basilica of Our Lady of Peace. The wake and prayer service was presided by Most Rev. Larry Silva, bishop of Honolulu.

Good evening. My name is Irene Farinas Dayuha, daughter of Rose Farinas.

Rose Farinas is a daughter, sister, cousin, aunty, and friend. She is a wife, mother and grandmother.

That is who we celebrate today, here at the Cathedral Basilica of Our Lady of Peace, where she worshipped for over forty years. It is here that she found God’s mercy and the example of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Roschulinda Dugay was born to Sinforoso Dugay and Maria Teano on October 10, 1943, in Nueva Vizcaya.

The world was at war and the Philippines was caught in it. My mom’s parents gave her a name that pointed to the hope of the world at the time. Roschulinda was named after Roosevelt, Churchill and Stalin.

It’s very fitting that my mom would live her life as a very hopeful person, even when life got hard. It became one of her strengths.

My mom is one of several children. She is survived by her sisters Eden Grace and Josephine.

My mom held as a precious gift, her own husband Rudy—my dad. They met in Hawaii after my mom moved here in the 1970s. They fell in love and married—something we celebrate every July 7th.

And even more precious to her were her children—my brother Jonathan, me and my sister Rochel.

To help raise the family, mom went to work. She worked as a seamstress at Malahini garments and as a packer at Izuo Brothers. It’s from Izuo that she retired.

One of the things my mom was most known for was her love of cooking.

She made different kinds of pancit and lumpia (Filipino noodles and eggrolls), pinakbet (a vegetable stew), chicken tinola (a chicken soup with green papaya), kare-kare (a peanut and beef stew), pinapaitan (a bitter beef and ginger soup).

Her desserts became famous: almond float, bibingka, turon, suman, kutsinta, among other things.

She gave her famous leche flan as gifts each Christmas.

My mom was also a traveler. She traveled more than the rest of us.

She went to California and Las Vegas many times when we were younger. When we were older, she went to Seattle and visited me in Louisiana.

Just a few years ago, she went on a nationwide tour. Starting from my cousin Gerald’s home in Chicago, she went with Aunty Virginia to Virginia. From there they went across the thirteen original colonies—eating crab in the Carolinas, picking berries in Maryland, visiting Douglas MacArthur’s grave at West Point, seeing the lights of Times Square, even playing slot machines in Atlantic City.

She stopped in Canada, too.

She had the experience of a lifetime.

Like any person, my mom had her habits.

She had to watch Wheel of Fortune each night. She would play along, yelling out the puzzle answers at the TV.

She liked playing word find games. You would see them lying around the house.

She had to watch her Korean dramas. She enjoyed the costumes, the background music, the storylines.

Like I said, my mom lived her life full of hope even when it became hard.

Mom was diagnosed with a rare lung disease, hemosiderosis, in 1991. But her hope turned a death sentence into living 25 more years than she was supposed to have.

Hope continued to turn into blessings when in recent years, she was able to live to see me get married to my husband Rey, and live to see her grandchildren: Chloe and Christlin.

My mom died on December 16 of last year.

But she died full of hope.

She died having left behind lots of love to all the people around her. And because of that love, even in death, she will live forever.